You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints’ tag.
- Spoke about the duty of the Priesthood in the home
- Presiding Authority always vested in the Father.
- Father is to direct the administration of ordinances in his home.
- Father presides at the table, prayer and general instruction to the family whenever he is present.
- Soldier with orders to Vietnam asked president Harold B. Lee for a blessing. Turned him down and told him to ask his father.
- 2 years later, the soldier said he did as was asked and he felt the power of the priesthood.
- Another time a young man was to be set apart as an Elder, Bro. Packer, told him his father was to do it. Good thing he was an Elder, or else he would have had a “Battlefield commission.”
Saturday Session 2, Talk 7 – President Boyd K. Packer, President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
- Pray even if you are you and wayward like the prophet Alma.
- Pray often.
- Pray in your mind.
- Pray in your heart.
- Pray on your knees.
- Prayer is your personal key in Heaven.
- Learned to close all prayers with “thy will be done.”
Saturday Session 2, Talk 6- Neil L. Anderson, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
- Repentance and the invitation is not chastisement, it is a loving appeal to turn around and return to God.
- It is a beckoning of a Loving Father and Son to be more than we are.
- Repentance is for all of us, no matter how righteous we are.
- The Savior is able and eager to forgive our sins.
- Except for those few who choose perdition after having known a fullness, there is no sin that cannot be forgiven.
- To Change, petition the Father for what to do. He tells us in our mind and in our heart. Then we can choose to repent or we can pull the shades down over our open window into heaven.
- Alma warned “Do not endeavour to excuse yourself in the least part.”
- Realize where you need to change. Have sincere and heartfelt confession to the lord and when needed, to others. When possible, restore what was wrongfully harmed or partaken.
- Weekly taken of Sacrament is so important. To come humbly, meekly before the lord, acknowledging our dependence on him, asking him to forgive and to renew us. And promising to always remember him.
- The scriptures do not say that we will forget our forsaken sins in mortality, rather they declare that the lord will forget. The forsaking means “never returning.” This requires time.
- Bishop has the power of discernment to help us repent.
- Do not procrastinate the date of your repentance, but in this life, it is never too late to repent.
- Story of a married couple who left the church 50 years ago, comes back and was sorry their children do not have the gospel.
- Repentance always mean that there is greater happiness ahead.
Saturday Session 2, Talk 5 – Kent D. Watson, of the Seventy
- Talks on Temperance
- Do not be lifted up.
- Be Patient in all things
- Carefully examine our expectations and desires.
- Be diligent and patient in seeking righteous goals.
- Told a story about a wheel hitting his car’s windshield. He was covered in glass but had not a scratch because of the tempered glass. Tempered glass, like steel, goes under a heating process that increases stress. When tempered glass is under stress, it will not easy break into shards that can injured. Tempered soul, which is humble and full of love has increased strength. With increased spiritual strength, we develop self mastery and to live with moderation. Control, temper, vanity and pride. With increased spiritual strength, we protect our selves of dangerous excesses and destructive additions of today’s world.
Saturday Session 2, Talk 4 – Tad R. Callister, of the Seventy
- - Apostle Paul was one of the greatest men to walk the earth.
- - Joseph Smith, The Father and the Son is separate
- - Joseph Smith, The Father and the Son have glorified bodies of Flesh and Bones
- - Joseph Smith, God still speaks to man today, the heavens are not closed.
- 3 Questions to ask:
- Does God love us as much today as in New Testament Times?
- Does he have the same power now as he did then?
- Do we need him now today as they needed him anciently?
- If the answer is YES, then it God does speak to men today.
- Joseph Smith, The full and complete Church of Jesus Christ was not on earth. Of course there were good people and some components of the truth.
- Joseph Smith, rebuilt the Church commenced line upon line, precept upon precept.
- Joseph Smith – Three levels of Heaven.
- Paul spoke of a man caught up in the 3rd heaven.
- Salvation and Eternal live is brought by the atonement.
- It is by Grace, we are saved after all we can do.
- Do all what is in our reach to achieve what is impossible.
- Partake Worthily the Sacrament and receive the ordinances of the restored gospel.
- Do the best you can in the role as spouses, children, brothers and sisters in our callings in sharing the gospel and rescuing those who has drifted.
- Be like the Apostle Paul “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.” – If we do so, we will be fulling the requirements of our Father in Heaven to bless us in this life and our life in eternity.
- Heavenly Father yearns to give us all that we have.
- Testifies of God and Jesus Christ. That he lives.
- God has a body.
- The father and son are distinct individuals.
- Know that God lives. Ponder about it.
- Gaining the knowledge that God lives and that he loves us.
Saturday Session 2, Talk 1 – Dallin H. Oaks, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
- God’s perfect and universal love are shown in all the blessings of his Gospel plan. His choicest blessings are reserved for those who obey his laws.
- Talks about law and love and other deep doctrine.
- Church is growing around the world.
- Most think of us as honest, helpful and hard working.
- Some have images of clean cut missionaries, loving fa miles and friendly neighbors who don’t smoke or drink.
- People who attend church every Sunday for 3 hours. Where everyone is a brother or a sister. Where the children sing songs about streams that talk, trees that produce popcorn and every child that wants to become sun beams.
- Of all the things we want to be known for? Disciples of Jesus Christ.
- How do we become true disciples of Jesus Christ?
- If ye love me, keep my commandments.
- Keep it simple.
- When asked the greatest commandment? Jesus said to “thou shalt love the lord thy god with all thy heart, all thy soul and all thy might.”
- When we truly understand what it is to love as Jesus Christ love us, our confusion clears and our priorities align. Our walk as disciples of Christ becomes more Joyful. Our lives take on new meaning. Our relationship with Heavenly Father becomes more profound. Obedience becomes a joy, rather than a burden.
- Why should we love God? God does not need us to love him, but, O, how we need to love God. For what we love determines what we seek, what we seek determines what we think and do. What we think and do determines who we are and who we will become. We are created in the image of our Heavenly Parents, we are God’s spirit children.
- Therefore, we have a vast capacity of love. It is part of our spiritual heritage. What and how we love not only defines us as individuals, it also defines us as a Church.
- Love truly is a defining characteristic of a disciple of Jesus Christ.
- We are important to God not because of our resume but because we are His children.
- How can we increase our love for God? Because he is love, the closer we get to him, the more profoundly we experience love.
- What attribute should define us as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints. Let us be known as a people who love God with all our heart, soul and mind. And who love our neighbors as ourselves.
Saturday Session 1, Talk 5 – Elder David A. Bednar, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
- -Joseph Smith – “More diligent and concerned at home”
- Suggestion 1: Express love and show it. Do it often.
- -”I love you” From Spouse, Parent or Child is a rich blessing.
- -Do it, even if you feel “unsure, awkward or embarrassed.”
- Suggestion 2: Bare testimony and live it. Do it often. Testimony is truth, witnessed by the Holy Ghost.
- -Testimony From Spouse, Parent or Child is a rich blessing.
- -Do it, even if you feel “unsure, awkward or embarrassed.”
- Suggestion 3: Be consistent.
- Scriptures at his home read among outburst such as:
- He’s touching me!
- Make him stop looking at me!
- Mom he’s breathing my air!
- Compares Family Home Evening, Scripture Study and Prayer as a brush strokes on the canvas of our souls…like his painting of a wheat field in his office. Close up you only see individual brush strokes, but step back and you can see a beautiful painting.